WELCOME!

Linggo, Nobyembre 15, 2015

Up North: When in Laoag

The Ilocos Region, especially Pagudpud, has been on my bucket list because I like the beach and a bit of  Spanish Era feels (and because of the pictures posted online!). And when Cebu Pacific had a sale I didn't think twice and booked our tickets for Ilocos to fulfill my bucket list. This will also be a celebration for my parents birthdays! We stayed in Ilocos Region for 4 days and 3 nights and I tried to squeeze in all tourist destinations of Laoag City and its surrounding towns, North and South Pagudpud, and Vigan! Whew, it was exhausting but it was all worth it!



around Aurora Park, Laoag City at night



Day 1 - A bit of Laoag City at Night

7pm - Our plan was to take the plane to Laoag from Manila and take the 10-hour bus trip from Vigan to Manila. From Laoag International Airport to Hotel Tiffany we boarded a van for Php100/person which was more convenient and comfortable for us (there is a free shuttle bus mentioned in most of the blogs, but it was not available at that time). They say the tricycles had the same rate, but I could not prove this. The trip took around 10-15 minutes, and the van dropped us off at the hotel. Though initially there was a problem with our reservation, we had a pleasant overnight stay in Hotel Tiffany. I was happy because the hotel was just a few blocks away from most of the destinations in Laoag City proper and also from the local market, Puregold, SM Savemore, and Hypermarket (plus points for my mother. Haha). 




Hotel Tiffany and Macy's Diner




7:30pm - We had dinner at La Preciosa and we ordered the much recommended Ilokano dishes of the restaurant: Poqui-Poqui, Igado, Pinakbet Chicharon, Crispy Dinuguan, Pansit Lusay, and Gamet Omelet. All were tasty, the goodness of home cooking! I particularly loved the Poqui-Poqui or grilled eggplant omelet. Gamet omelet was similar to poqui-poqui unfortunately. The pansit lusay was more wet than what we are used to in a pansit (maybe because it has tomatoes). The restaurant is also known for their cakes, but we were so full I could not make room for it anymore. 




Ilokano dishes


Pansit Lusay


La Preciosa




8:30pm - After dinner we decided to walk off what we ate towards the Capitol, which was around 10 minutes. While my mother was buying something from SM Hypermarket I dragged my father across to Aurora Park and took pictures of him at the fountain and Tobacco Monopoly Monument. When my mother was done with grocery, we took pictures at the Ilocos Norte Capitol. 





Tobacco Monopoly Monument at Aurora Park with the
Ilocos Norte Capitol as the backdrop


We passed by Dap-ayan and we thought it was the bus station! It was only when we got back to the hotel that I realized what it was. I think the place is like an open food court and I have read in a blog that this is where you could get a tasty Laoag empanada (Alicia's).



9pm - And because my cousin and I wanted to ride the kalesa ever since we arrived, we asked around where we could find one. Unfortunately it was a little bit late but thankfully there were two kalesas waiting in front of Puregold. ( I think these two kalesas are in front of Puregold every night waiting for late night passengers because we saw them again the next night. Maybe the drivers are bestfriends. Hehe. So if you can't see a kalesa, better head to Puregold). 




The old and the new



We paid Php 150 for a trip around the city, but there was nothing interesting. But we were able to feel the quietness and laidback feel of Laoag at night which reminded me of my hometown 20 years ago (my town is being eaten away by modernization). I also could not help but imagine the life during the Spanish era with each clip-clop of the horse's feet. Btw, you could also ride a kalesa to any destination within Laoag City for Php15. (I feel bad for the horses because they have to stand all day and get exhausted from pulling passengers)



The kalesa dropped us off in front of our hotel and we tucked in for the night, to have some rest and be ready the next day for an adventure at LaPaz sand dunes and a tour of Laoag City and its surrounding towns! 









1 komento:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...