WELCOME!

Linggo, Setyembre 30, 2012

MT. PULAG - AMBANGEG TRAIL

Mt. Pulag summit is out there :p

I was invited by my sister to join her and her officemates (some were seasoned mountaineers already) to experience Mt. Pulag in Kabayan, Benguet which is the highest peak in Luzon. This is my first real mountain climb (not counting the fieldtrip we had in highschool in Moroboro in Dingle, Iloilo), but eversince, I had wanted to become a mountaineer. So enthusiastically I said yes. And both my sister and I were in for some big surprises...


Baguio's zigzag road
 
Since both of us were first-timers, we had (or my sister had..hehehe) to shell-out an amount for gears. We had to buy quality trekking shoes (Merrel, as recommended), thermals, rash guards, gloves, bonnets, thick coats. Well, some of the items were bought in thrift shops so the shoes got the biggest chunk of gear expenses (and a good one too because being injured up high the mountains is really dangerous). 

 
Ambuklao Dam

The road going to the Visitor's Center

Beforehand, the group reserved bus tickets for Manila-Baguio. We depart from Cubao around 10 pm and arrived in Baguio around 4 am. And it was freezing cold! I could see my breath, and the strawberry taho did not help to warm my insides! We then boarded our chartered jeep that would take us directly to Ambangeg Visitor’s Center. We had a brief pit stop along the way for breakfast (looking back I should have tried the Papaitan!) then resumed our journey along winding and undulating roads Baguio is well-known for (good thing I had a Dizitab). As we were approaching the Visitor’s Center, the roads became treacherous and narrow, and muddier because of the rain. Kudos to manong driver (:p). 


Visitor's Center

ID's of past climbers
Around 10 am we arrived in the Visitor’s Center for registration and orientation. The orientation, which lasted about 15 minutes, consisted of a film showing warning visitors to respect the mountain and greet the natives that we pass by when we ascend the mountain. Afterwards, we resumed towards the Ranger Station where some of us started to layer our clothing before starting the trek. It was not a good move though. Another “wrong move” was we had a chance for porters to carry our bags, but we didn’t. 


exhilirating view from the top



We started the trek in an ascending way and before I know it I was out of breath that I had second thoughts if I can push through! I was not prepared for the “extreme” cardiopulmonary exercise, and add the 10-kilo weight on my back (of course my backpack with food and water) and the heat from my clothing, and it started drizzling, I was about to give up. But because I don’t want to be left out and labelled as a quitter, I moved forward (sigh). 


Native strawberry

As we ascend still it started to rain thus the way became muddier, the weight on my back grew heavier, and I have this snoring sound in my chest (was it congestion already?). My sister took pity on me, and decided to unload me 2 liters (i think) of bottled water and Gatorade. She even asked me if I want to turn around. Heck, I say. We had gotten that far, and if we descend it’s still a long way down. So I move forward again. I had lots of rest along the way (fortunately one of sister’s officemate was also trailing behind). There were times that I had to exert effort just to push myself from the ground.


 

Camp 1

After approximately 3 hours of sheer exhaustion we arrived in Camp 1. My relief lasted only seconds because it’s not our targeted site, and we had to walk another hour or so! And so we walk again. 


Campers at Camp 2

When we were at the foot towards Camp 2, it was an exhilarating feeling. But then again I saw the steep climb and asked our guide if there are any shortcuts, just so I could avoid the climb. Sadly, there was none. Fortunately when we arrived at the campsite the others who were the first to arrive already set up our tent. But again it was raining, the ground was soaked and moisture and water seeps inside the tent. Bummer. Wait until 10pm they say because it’s the time where the temperature really drops. And it did! I was shivering despite my layers of clothing, due to cold and wet beddings. I really can’t wait for morning. 


"Sea of Clouds" on its side. Note the Hut where the Latrine is


At 4am when we were preparing for the trek towards the summit (a 1-hour climb) I decided not to join because our headlamps were lost in the chaos and without those, I’m not going to gamble my life in darkness (I have poor eyesight you know). And it was still raining. So I passed up the chance of seeing the famous view of the summit! Hahahah! But I didn’t regret it coz I had the chance to experience the Camp 2 all alone, I got to see the famous “sea of clouds” on its side (hehe), and I got to see the sunrise (though not as majestic) of Mt. Pulag. Plus, I experienced the comfort room (latrine they say), the one with a hole in the ground.


The Merrel's after


Around 9am, we break camp and descended. This time we had our bags carry by porters, so it was much easier, like a walk in the park. And the sun’s up so the ground’s not so slippery. At the Ranger’s station we bought souvenirs (T-shirts, scarves), changed to cleaner clothes, and start our descent to Visitor’s Center to log out. 


Fresh strawberries



Thankfully one of our companions is from Baguio so we had no problem going around. We bought pasalubong (fresh strawberries, strawberry jams, ube jams, lengua, peanut brittle) in Baguio wet market because it’s much cheaper.


Famous Baguio pasalubong



Then we had dinner in Sizzling Plate, and we trekked Session Road on the way to the bus terminal. While waiting for our (I think) 9pm ride to Manila we bummed inside the terminal along with other groups of climbers, freshen up, and take some photos. And when we boarded our bus, it was so cold! Could the driver please lower the airconditioner coz we are still in Baguio? One lesson learned: never underestimate the cold while anywhere in Baguio!
 




bumming while waiting



For more info on Mt. Pulag and other mountaineering activities, you could visit pinoymountaineer.com


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...