WELCOME!

Huwebes, Abril 4, 2013

WHEN SOMETHING STINGS: A guide on bee/wasp sting

I was busy tending my farm in Farmville 2 at 2 AM in my room, when suddenly, something landed near me and I reacted quickly! For you know, I don't like any insects crawling around my bed because it could get inside my ears! What I saw was an unfamiliar visitor in my room, a wasp. 


Small but terrible



Actually I'm not familiar with how wasps look like, so I immediately Googled it and indeed it was a wasp. I didn't know how it got into my room, and I tried shooing it (or better yet, squishing it before it stings me) but it was faster than me. I got up and there was no sign of it. 



small wheal around the sting site


But suddenly I felt this pain in my left knee, a pain that I couldn't quite figure where exactly in my knee. It was, as they say, burning all over. Then I saw this pinpoint stab in my knee.



cute but deadly, www.123rf.com


Although I was at home, this could very likely happen to anyone who's traveling especially now that Summer is here. Don't take it lightly because bees and wasps stings could lead to severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis) which can cause death. So here's a brief note about bees and wasp sting and how to treat it.



silent killer, www.123rt.com



Hymenoptera Stings, Harrison's Internal Medicine 17th ed.

Uncomplicated stings can cause immediate pain, a wheal and flare reaction, and local edema and swelling that subsides in a few hours. Multiple stings can lead to vomiting, diarrhea, generalized edema, dyspnea, hypotension, and collapse. Serious allergy reactions may be rapidly fatal, and usually begins within 10 min of the sting and only rarely develop after 5 h. 


In my case, the hypersensitivity reaction was caused by the venom from the wasp, and thankfully it was an uncomplicated one.


Other signs and symptoms to watch out for:
Mild allergy reactions: nausea, abdominal cramping, generalized urticaria, flushing, and angioedema. 
Serious allergy reactions: difficulty in breathing, low blood pressure, shock.

Treatment:
1. Stingers from honeybees imbedded in the skin should be removed ASAP by any method to limit the spread of the venom.
2. Site should be cleansed and disinfected.
3. Ice packs should be applied to slow the spread of venom.
4. For relief of symptoms: elevate the affected site; analgesics and antihistamines; topical calamine lotion
5. For patients with multiple stings, they should be observed in a hospital for 24H.
6. For severe allergy reaction, patient should be brought to the nearest medical facility for anaphylaxis treatment.


Upon googling wasp sting, I clicked the article from webmd.com and here's how to do first aid:

If the person does not have severe allergy symptoms:
1. Remove the Stinger


  • Scrape the area with a fingernail or use tweezers to remove it.
  • Don't pinch the stinger -- that can inject more venom.



 2. Control Swelling
  • Ice the area.
  • If you were stung on your arm or leg, elevate it.
  • Remove any tight-fitting jewelry from the area of the sting. As it swells, rings or bracelets might become hard to get off.


3. Treat Symptoms
  • For pain, take an over-the-counter painkiller like acetaminophen or ibuprofen. Do not give aspirin to anyone under age 18.
  • For itchiness, take an antihistamine. You can also apply a mixture of baking soda and water or calamine lotion.

4. Follow-Up
It might take 2-5 days for the area to heal. Keep it clean to prevent infection.

 If the person does have severe allergy symptoms (anaphylaxis):
1. Call 911 (or in my case and for those without 911, go immediately to a nearest hospital).Seek emergency care if the person has these symptoms or a history of severe allergic reactions (anaphylaxis), even if there are no symptoms:
  • Difficulty breathing or wheezing
  • Tightness in the throat or a feeling that the airways are closing
  • Hoarseness or trouble speaking
  • Nausea, abdominal pain, or vomiting
  • Fast heartbeat or pulse
  • Skin that itches, tingles, swells, or turns red

  • Anxiety or dizziness
  • Loss of consciousness
2. Inject Epinephrine ImmediatelyIf the person has an anaphylaxis action plan from a doctor for injecting epinephrine and other emergency measures, follow it. 

I only applied ice pack on the wound (hehe), and after some few agonizing seconds, the pain starts to go down. But I can't be at the safe side yet. I have to be vigilant because a rapid allergy reaction may take place. I hope not.


  


Walang komento:

Mag-post ng isang Komento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...